One should plan and try to visit the following 12 Jyothirlingas in his or her lifetime for great Spiritual progress, material contentment and Salvation.
1. Somnath, at Prabhas Patan is in Saurashtra in Gujarat. This temple was destroyed and re-built six times and is rich in legend, tradition and history.
2. At Srisailam, near Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh, is the ancient shrine to Mallikarjuna that is architecturally and sculpturally rich. Adi Shankara composed his Sivananda Lahiri here.
3. The Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga temple at Mahakal, Ujjain (or Avanti) is in Madhya Pradesh. The Lingam here is believed to be Swayambhu, the only one of the 12 Jyotirlingams to be so. It is also the only one facing south. This is also the only temple where a Shree Yantra is set upside down on the ceiling of the Garbha Graha (where the Shiva Lingam sits).
4. Mamleshwar, Omkareshwar in Madhya Pradesh is on an island in the Narmada river. On this island is the Mamaleshwar temple and a Jyotirlinga shrine.
5, The northernmost of the Jyotirlingas is in Kedarnath, Uttarakhand, nestled in the snow-clad Himalayas. You can visit this ancient shrine that is rich in legend and tradition only by foot, and only for six months in a year.
6, A Jyotirlinga shrine is located at Bhimashankar, in the Sahyadri range in Maharashtra. This temple is associated with the story of Shiva destroying the demon Tripurasura.
7. The Vishwanath Jyotirling temple is at Varanasi (Benares) in Uttar Pradesh.
8. Another Jyotirlinga is at Trimbakeshwar, near Nasik in Maharashtra. This one is associated with the origin of the Godavari River.
9. The Vaidyanath temple in Deoghar, Jharkhand in the Santal Parganas region or Bihar is also one of the Jyotirlingas.
10. Nageshwar Temple at Dwaraka, Gujarat
11. The huge and famous Ramalingeswarar Jyotirlinga temple in Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, is revered as the southernmost of the twelve Jyotirlingas.
12. The Ghrishneshwar Jyotirlinga shrine is in Aurangabad in Maharashtra, near the Ellora temples.
Benefits of visiting Jyotirlingas:
- Sourashtra Somanath – We get blessed with wealth and peace.
- If we pray Srisailam Mallikarjuna – We get free from all bad forms
- If we pray Ujjain Mahakaleshwar – we get free from all fears and sins.
- Omkareshwar Amareshwar gives comfort, peace and wealth
- Parali Vaidyanath – We get free from many kinds of diseases and curses.
- Visiting Bhimeshwar and praying Linga gives you victory over
- Visiting Rameshwar and praying Linga and making abhisheka with Kasi Ganga gives you Great Punya and will be shown path towards heaven.
- If you visit Dwaraka Nageshwar, all your sins will be destroyed.
- If you pray Kasi Vishweshwar you will be free from all kinds of Karma.
- If you pray Nasik Triyambakeshwar, you will be blessed with your desired wish.
- People who visit Kedareshwara Linga located in Himalaya will attain Mukti.
- Visiting Grishneshwara Linga will grant wealth and pleasure.
Om Namassivaya ||
Om Tat Sat!